A MEMORY OF DIFFERENT ERA.




It was October 27th 1954 in the port of Vittoria do Espiritu Santo, Brazil where I had my encounter with a Duenna and Margarita. We had discharged the wheat from Russia in Rio and headed to this port to queue and thence load iron ore for South Wales.  And so it was just three days before my 17th birthday when I had this adventure.
Since we were waiting the Master, Captain Harry Marshall, gave me permission to go and see the town with three other apprentice lads. And so we set off and ended up outside the beautiful building that was, and I believe still is, the university. We could hear laughter and, in looking for the source of the amusement, found a group of young people looking up at us from a classroom that was below the level of the steps. It was a class of students studying English. The cause of the laughter was the size of our feet and in particular mine! Apparently all Latin people are small footed compared to Anglo Saxons.
The lecturer soon invited us into the class – it was a golden opportunity for these students to practice their English. It was fun.
There was also an opportunity to ask one of the girls for a date and so I asked this attractive black girl, Margareta, if I could see her that evening. She agreed saying that we could meet at the evening promenade that took place in the town square – an informal meeting place for families and friends etc to literally circulate and chat. I was also informed there would a chaperone. 
I went back on my ship, the “Eastern City”, to have my tea and to seek permission from Captain Marshall to go ashore that evening. Fortunately the Old Man had his wife on board, Millie, an American Southern Belle, fragrant in chiffon, and kind to us lads. The “Sheriff” [or nickname for Capt Marshall] agreed and I had to report to him before I went ashore again. He insisted that, being English, I had to have a tie on which required a carefully starched and ironed collar and studs etc, and black uniform shoes shining with gloss.
I met Margarita and there, two paces astern of her, was this formidable black lady clad in what appeared to be bombazine and taffeta, this was the duenna. There was to be no holding hands and certainly no such thing as a kiss or a hug. God Forbid! But do you know it was nice? It was real fun? And we talked and laughed as we stumbled through broken English. The Brazilians were very taken with England having a Queen. This is a great memory to have.
Almost a year later I told my Father that I had walked out with a lovely black girl and duenna. It was sad to hear that he really did not quite approve and I often wonder what he would have said had my elder brother, Jack, had married the beautiful Coptic girl that he had met in Egypt!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN ISLAND NATION

Where You Stand and Prejudice (2016)

I was called a Flat Earther