IT IS 40 YEARS SINCE I LAST SAW HER.

  When I completed the recent blog concerning the Dutch shipbuilder who sailed with us and fell in love with English puddings I went back on line to research his company. So I typed in IJesselwerf etc. and found this old friend. 


  The ship is now called the "Ocean Service" and now sailing under the flag of India and is registered in the port of Mumbai. At midnight yesterday the vessel moored in Sharjah in the Emirates. And, yes, it is the vessel "Ocean Shore" that I had the privilege to commission and command all those years ago. 
  She was a happy ship and performed all of her tasks well in those early days in the development of offshore oil and gas. She worked hard on the limits of the Norwegian Trench, a treacherous area to be anchor handling; Tina had a comfortable visit in Aberdeen - I had a nice day cabin, comfortable bedroom, and small neat shower-room, [she enjoyed the offerings from a superb cook/steward!]. The vessel went through seas as large as blocks of flats going through the Pentland Firth. She was key in weathering a full storm and rescuing a rig on the Grand Banks. She withstood the dangers of ice-accretion off St. Johns. All the Masters & Mates who succeeded me in Offshore Marine found the "Ocean Shore" to be a real 'lady'. I handed over to Captain Howard Anguish when the Mate was David Grief and notwithstanding grief and anguish on board the ship was very happy and served the industry with distinction.
  If you see ships built to Lloyds Class +100A1 it means the vessel was built to the highest specification and expected to last one hundred years. The "Ocean Shore" was built to that specification and I am so chuffed to see her looking so smart and cared for and now operating in an area that will be kind to her. I am willing to bet that she is still a happy ship.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN ISLAND NATION

Where You Stand and Prejudice (2016)

I was called a Flat Earther