Kevin O'Shaughnessy - a Boyhood Hero.

When you are a lad and on the threshold of going out in the world you have heroes that you admire and would quite possibly follow. I am not talking of the obvious people, you know famous sportsmen and women or someone who has done something brave or noble and therefore have become famous.  No, I am talking of possibly someone in your family or community who you like and admire and, in truth, has some impact on your life and may even help shape your life in some way.
I was reflecting on this having heard a chance remark and then saw a TV programme on the Queen becoming ninety and one of her first tasks following coronation was decorating Private Speakman with the Victoria Cross for bravery in the Korean War in 1951. Now there is a hero and now a Chelsea Pensioner.
There's a man who a role model not one of vapid people that in this day and age are called "celebs." 
Anyway in 1950 I was thirteen years of age and had others too closer to home that I admired and could be said to be a "role model" for that young lad with the ginger hair. One was my older brother, Jack, [who was a half brother but that did not make any difference.] He loved my Mum as much a I did and took many opportunities to spoil her as befits a son. He worked with HM Dockyard and took oversea postings in Alexandria, Egypt,  and Bermuda! In Alexandria he fell in love with a Coptic girl and that got my Father excited [steam out the ears job!] . When that all calmed down he was in Bermuda and that was glamorous, yes, he was a much admired older brother.
Another person that received my admiration was Father O'Brien, the red-headed curate of St. Alphege's Catholic Church in Oldfield Park, Bath. Now there was an Irish priest that was as crazy as his hair. My Mum loved his visits and his quick fire banter.  Father O'Brien had a motor bike, an AJS 350cc
He was not always aware of speed limits and did not wear a helmet. I served as an altar-boy and had quickly taken to Latin as I studied it at St.Brendan's College in Bristol. So it was often the case I was nominated to serve with Father O'Brien on funerals. Both cemeteries were outside Bath so it required a ride in the hearse or more frequently riding pillion on the back Father O'Brien's motor bike. It was exciting and he often forgot there was a hump backed bridge by the Whiteway Cemetery so I held on for grim death! The church introduced me to another hero - Kevin O'Shaughnessy.
Kevin was Master Of Ceremonies [MC] at St.Alphege's or in other words the Priest's right hand man at Holy Mass etc. Kevin also played rugby for Bath.



BATH 1949/1950
Kevin O'Shaughnessy is #6 counting from right hand side front row.
Here's an extract from Bath archives

14/10/1950

v Somerset Police, Home, Won 6-5. P Sullivan, R Hambly, K O’Shaughnessy, K Wilcox, W Donnelly, G Hawkes, M Hanna, T Smith, J Francis, J Roberts, J Dingle, G Brown, A Todd, J Vassiere, L Harter.
Sgt. Tremlett turned out for the visitors. He was officer in charge of Bath’s Lower Weston police station. The ‘men-in-blue’ were short of five regulars and Bath had six away on County calls. Kevin O’Shaughnessy was given captaincy of the side, as a farewell gesture before his departure to Nigeria on the Monday. The two weighty packs fought it out, leading to Bath tries by O’Shaughnessy and Hambly and a try for Sgt. Tremlett, converted by Hawkins for the visitors.
Kevin was a terrific guy and he was engaged to the most attractive girl in Bath at that time - the daughter of Dr, Cubbage who lived just along the road from us, For the life of me I cannot remember her name. She was really lovely and always spoke to me.
Kevin was employed in the Forestry Commission and was posted to Nigeria [that country became independent in 1960]. I was sad when Kevin's engagement ceased - believe she married a Royal Naval officer.
Imagine being being a 13 year old boy as a spectator at a big match. Kevin has to take place kick as he walks back he notices you and he lifts a hand says " Hi, Mike" and carries on to convert! Just imagine!
But it was at church that Kevin coached me in church matters a gave me this explanation of the Priest's vestments :
In the Middle Ages, two popular interpretations of the meaning of the vestments arose.  The most prevalent one interpreted the vestments as symbols of Jesus’ passion: the blindfold (the amice) and the garment (the alb) as He was mocked and beaten; the ropes and fetters (the cincture) which bound Him during the scourging; the cross (the stole) He carried; and the seamless garment (the chasuble) for which the soldiers rolled dice.  The other popular interpretation focused on the vestments in their Roman military origins and viewed them as symbols of the priest as the soldier of Christ doing battle against sin and Satan.
The MC is responsible for laying out the vestments and knowing the Latin words for all things.
When he left I was sad but determined to play rugby like him and continue in church services.
I did that and at the young age of 13 years I succeeded him as MC.




Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Mike!
We’ve been reading your blog post, Kevin O’Shaughnessy- a boyhood hero, and that’s my grandad. I’m here with my mum and she’s keen to talk with you about your memories. We found it an interesting revelation to hear that he was engaged- but not to the person we have heard about all these years! Looking forward to hearing from you.
Amy

Popular posts from this blog

AN ISLAND NATION

Where You Stand and Prejudice (2016)

I was called a Flat Earther