One Hundred & Nine Years Ago........





















On this day, 14th September 1898, my Father, John Henry Alfred Hogan, was born in Chatham in Kent to an Irish immigrant family. His Father, William Hogan, is listed on the birth certificate, as a Blacksmith with His Majesty's Gun Wharf, the Admiralty in Chatham and his Mother, Mary Ellen Hogan [formerly Leary] gave birth to him at home in Oliver Street, Chatham.

The Family came originally from Cappoquin, Co. Waterford in Ireland, and William was a Blacksmith there and built the gates at the famous monastery at Mount Mellory. He served in British Army as a Farrier and there is a record of him in Cairo [1860's] being recommended for further service so I guess it was natural to take the excellent post on the Medway and there raise a family that included my Father and two brothers and sisters.

I am no sure of the exact year of the pictures but it is roughly about the time of my Father's 50th birthday. There's my Mum, Keith, my Dad, and yours truly [with red hair and Brylcream!]
My Mother died in 1952 aged 45 years and my Dad died in 1973 aged 75.

So today remember a remarkable man who lived through two World Wars at sea, had the awful sadness of losing two wives, he was my Dad and I wish that he knew how much everyone holds him in so much respect . I will blog more on his life later.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN ISLAND NATION

Where You Stand and Prejudice (2016)

I was called a Flat Earther