Heligoland - the Big Bang

In an earlier blog regarding my father I said that he was involved in blowing up the German island of Heligoland. [See picture].
It is located in the German Bight some 50 miles offshore with the closest port being Cuxhaven.
In the Second World War it was a major submarine base - virtually indestructible concrete pens. The British decided to destroy post war and my Father organised shipping in 6,800 tons of high-explosives and on 18th April 1947 they made the biggest man made bang in history [excluding the A-bomb]. The island jumped 2 inchs!
My Dad was against the project saying that it would be a perfect shelter for fishing vessel. It was really an act of revenge that didn't think of the future. That's life... Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN ISLAND NATION

Where You Stand and Prejudice (2016)

I was called a Flat Earther